Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 2004 00:27:58 +0300
From:      Michael Bushkov <bushman@rsu.ru>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordon@freebsd.org>
Cc:        bork@rsu.ru
Subject:   Re: IPC nsswitch implementation

I understand this. There are some problems in making current nss-modules
compatible with our implementation. The main problem is process euid. When
you're
using current nss-modules they work as part of your program - and geteuid
functions
work correctly. But when lookupd is used, euid of the process is lookupds'
euid. And
that's a problem. There are two possible solutions, i think:
1) We can run 2 daemons. One with root euid. And one with "simple user"
euid. Client side
will choose one or another to connect. But this way is rather expensive.
2) We can try to change geteuid function in modules for our function,
which will return
thread-specific value, which would be set by daemon. The minus is that we,
however, will need to
recompile nss-modules.

And another thing. When we use lookupd daemon we can optimize it work
much. For
example, modules can use persistent-connections. It can be very useful.

But, returning to your question :) It is possible, i think.
There are some disadvantages, but it's possible.
Of course, using modules, developed for lookupd would be better, but as
"compatibility"
decision we can try to implement usage of current nss-modules.

Michael Bushkov,
Software Engineer,
Rostov State University