Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:25:48 -0500
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   lpd: "unable to contact server" (on a parallel port???)

I'm experiencing weirdproblems untilo my own machine comes back,
apparently from minor differences betwen the thinkpad A21p and A22m.
Last week printing wouldn't work properly (but characters sort of came
through).  I tried again today, but my application (lyx) is told,

lp: error - no default destination available.

checking with lpq gives the result,

lpq: Unable to contact server!

/etc/printcap still contains the single line,

lp|hplj4|Hp LaserJet 4:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd/:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :if=/usr/local/libexec/magicfilter/ljet4l-filter:\

any ideas?

hawk

--
What part of "non-negotiable" didn't you understand? /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700           \ /   against HTML mail