Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 11:38:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   summary of changes my changes in current recently

Just so that people have some sort of idea what The folks here at whistle
(including me) have been doing. (In -current).
Thes have been put back in FreeBSD so they are now generally available.

1/ added kernel level support for appletalk-over-ethernet

2/ added support for the above in netstat, route, ifconfig

3/ added support to the bootblocks (rather crude but..)
   to allow the user to decide the default string for the next boot,
   and what to do should that next boot fail.. (try a differnt string?)
   (revert to the old one?) etc. etc. useful also for setting non-standard
  bootstrings as the default.. e.g 3:sd(0,f)/kernel.funky

4/ added support for an  IP DIVERT capability in the ip-firewall
   code. this allows arbitrary packets to be diverted to a user-land
   daemon. such a daemin might  impliment ip-address  translation..
   or packet encryption.
   Daemons for both these have been written, but it is unlikely that I can
   release them, however all the hard part has been added to freebsd,
   so the remaining work for someone to write the daemons again  should be
   within the scope of a standard C programmer, looking for a project.

apply within if you need ideas as to how to impliment these.. :)

Note that using the IPDIVERT and IPX, an IP-over-IPX tunnel to allow a winsock
library to tunnel out over an IPX crippled network would be a trivial matter.
(another project for someone?)

Re: Appletalk.. Whistle Communications has agreed to supply
the netatalk crew with a freeBSD machine, so I hope that in
the future, netatalk releases will be native-ports on FreeBSD-current.
I expect that Wes will be supplying me with direct -current patches
both for the kernel parts and for the daemons themselves.
With luck the kernel support for appletalk will also be relevant to
the CAP camp.

As I don't have netnews here, could someone forward this to there as well?
(just to keep people informed about what's going on in -current)
(also I think it would be a good idea if everyone were to occasionally report
to hackers and netnews what they are working on,. so that
we don't duplicate so much and so we get a feeling of how much
development is going on..

how about we did a quick roll-call?