Date:      Sat, 31 May 2014 19:21:28 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dependency graph?

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > Sometimes you attempt to "pkg install" a simple package and find out
> > that it attempts to install a load of crap (like X libraries) because of
> > some obscure dependency.
> >
> > Is there a tool that would analyze the repository metadata and display
> > a dependency tree for a package?
> >
> > All the necessary dependency information is already in the repository
> > in JSON (?) or sqlite format, perhaps someone has already come up with
> > a script to display that?
>
> Not to my knowledge.  Generating output suitable for feeding into dot
> should be pretty easy, just based on processing the output of 'pkg query'

To my knowledge, 'pkg query' works with the locally installed packages.
Can it really query a remote repository, and if yes, could you please give an
example query?

When I issue 'pkg query %do some_package_not_installed_locally', it
returns an empty result.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru