Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 21:41:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        0000-Administrator <root@acromail.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Info files.

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, 0000-Administrator wrote:

> Why are there info files for the g++ library but no info files for the
> plain old c library. I learned most of what I know about network
> programming from the libc info files for linux --- either that or what is
> some good docs for general app/net programming under freebsd In particular
> the short and to the point examples of how the structures (and their
> definitions) are used (all stuff that is in the gnu c library info files).
> Does freebsd actually use the gnu c library, can someone explain what it
> uses and where I can get a book that explains how to use all the system
> calls? (yes, I do know about man pages)

If you know about the man pages, I don't understand what your problem is.
This isn't Linux, our documentation resides in man pages mostly.  I know
(because of the gnu prejudice against man pages) that linux is less
inclined to this than most Unixes, but the man pages FreeBSD has are not
incomplete (in most cases, kernel excepted).

The only time that FreeBSD installs a man page, it is because the utility
involved is gnu-derived, and as such has no man page documentation.  In
some cases (like GNU tar) a FreeBSD man page has been written anyway,
because many FreeBSDers aren't very happy with info format.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |