Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 15:45:48 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        haro@tk.kubota.co.jp, takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp, current@freebsd.org, acpi-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI megapatch

>>> Cool.  On some machine, thermal management requires Embedded Controller I/O.
>>> Anybody working on this?
>>
>> Yeah.  I just discovered that I need this.
>>
>> I haven't look at how operation regions are handled, so I'm not sure how
>> hard it's going to be to implement the hooks necessary for this.
>
> Some VAIOs, ThinkPads require this too, luckily my PORTEGE doesn't.
> I can test the thermal management code earlier :-)

Swine. 8)

>> There is another major problem here too.
>>
>> Some complete idiot in the ACPI team decided that the "right" way to
>> implement hysteresis for the temperature settings was to have the system
>> send a Notify(zone, 0x80) to the thermal zone and then have it re-parse
>> it's AML to discover new settings.  This means that you need to keep a
>> pointer to the *original* location of the AML for at least some methods
>> inside a thermal zone, if not the entire zone itself.
>>
>> My laptop does this too.  8(
>
> PowerResource code keeps pointers to the PowerResource objects, then
> finds a pointer to methods of the object dynamically.  Can we do it in
> similar way for thermal management?

Well, yes, but you have to go back and re-parse the actual AML.  I'm not
even sure if it's safe to assume that the thermal zone is in the same
place in the bytecode (it should be, I guess).

>> I haven't looked at the ACPICA code yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if
>> all the embedded controller stuff is already supported there.  How bad do
>> you think it's going to be to make it work?  You've already looked at the
>> modifications that the Linux people have made - were they just bug fixes,
>> or are there serious problems with the code?
>
> I didn't read closer, but I couldn't find any embedded controller
> stuff in both linux-2.4.0-test8 and acpica-unix-20000901 except for
> definitions in header files.
> Subsystem/Include/acinterp.h:AcpiAmlEmbeddedControllerSpaceHandler in acpica,
> drivers/acpi/include/interp.h:acpi_aml_embedded_controller_space_handler in linux.

I went reading through the ACPICA documentation to work this out.  They
acually have a very nice technique where they attach the I/O handlers to
a point in the namespace, and then when something attempts I/O, they
travel back up the namespace to the root, looking for the first matching
I/O handler.

This means that when your EC driver finds an embedded controller, you
just attach your I/O handler to the EC object.  Then anytime someone
tries to do I/O to the EC, your handler gets called.

I can write the driver easily enough, but I don't know how I/O is
currently handled in the AML interpreter.  The more I look at ACPICA, the
more I like the idea of using it, presuming that it actually works...

> Last time I compared only few files and found many differences between
> them not only for naming.  I think these two used the same code
> originally, but enhanced separately.  Now that it's difficult to
> compare them...

Hmm.  I guess I should spend some more time looking at this.  I don't
mean to devalue all the work that's been put into the current AML code,
but ACPICA has already solved a lot of the problems that we haven't even
touched yet (Notify, locking, etc...)