Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:07:37 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1047758858.7bdb8d@mired.org>
To:        RexFelis <catlord17@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building KDE3 from ports in 5.0 fails on libmng

In <20030310190720.38342.qmail@web40409.mail.yahoo.com>, RexFelis <catlord17@yahoo.com> typed:
> Hello, all:
>
> I am not terribly familiar with FreeBSD, but I am
> learning by getting my hands dirty.  To that end,
> I have installed and updated via CVSup, kernel,
> system and ports. (5.0-R to 5.0-R p4)

If you're not terribly familiar with FreeBSD, you probably shouldn't
be working with the development branch. I'd recommend starting over
with 4-STABLE. Not only are you less likely to have problems with it,
but those here helping have a much greater depth of experience with it
than with 5-CURRENT.

If you don't want to move back to the production branch, you should
CVSUP to 5-CURRENT, not 5.0-RELEASE p4, and then send your problem
reports to current@freebsd.org. Note that users of current are
expected to be able to do at least some debugging/fixing themselves.

> Sensing an opportunity for more experience, I
> performed a 'pkg_delete -a' and then a 'make
> install" for Xfree86-4.  Eight hours later, when
> that was finished, I did a 'make install' for
> KDE3 as well.
> This has failed.  the script I have recorded
> reveals that libmng is what is causing the
> failure.

Without the actual text of the error messages, there's not much hope
of diagnosing the problem.

	<mike