Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 21:41:27 +0100 (MET)
From:      Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it
To:        Doug Epps <dougie@tippett.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ibm thinkpads internal modem

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Doug Epps wrote:

> greetings,
>
> i hope you can help me, i have an ibm thinkpad 760ED that i have
> installed FreeBSD on, and i cant seem to get the modem (internal) to
> work !
>
> it (bsd) claims it is looking at the proper address (by proper i mean
> the number agrees with the thinkpad doc. and the value's win95 reports,
> i believe 0x2f8)

Hmm, bit unfair that is. I most certainly have it working here on this
end. The only trouble I have had is that although I specify the right
IRQs, the plug and pray support for the screen seems to be quite qwilling
to steal the IRQ. my solution was to use the Fn-f1 combination to change
the
port/irq of the modem and the IrDA link to avoid the address it sets it
to bymoving it up to 4.

> but it doesn't seem to want to believe my modem is a honest to goodness
> serial device ... any ideas ?

Hmm it appears to my tip/ppp as a serial hayes comaptible modem

> i understand that the thinkpad switches the io ports between several
> different serial devices (there is a win95 util to do this)... i do not
> know if this 'state' is preserved across resets, but would hope it is,
> if not is there an 'init' type of thing that i can write ?

I use the fn-f1 to set/cahnge it and it seems to be preserverd across
boots; but I do never run windows on it; so I do not know wheter that
could screw things up. With a normal P120 machine at home I have great
trouble keeping W95 to stop fiddling with the IRQs on the SCSI and
ethernetcard; and had to use legecy settings in the bios for almost
everything to keep it nailed down to one IRQ which is not touched or
cahnged each time FReeBSD boots.

Good lick

DW
.
http://ewse.ceo.org                         http://enrm.ceo.org
DWvGulik@Dialis.xs4all.nl                  Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it
+39 332 78 0014                                 +39 332 78 9549
                                            fax +39 332 78 9185

ISEI/ESBA;                     The Center For Earth Observation
Joint Research Centre of the European Communities, Ispra, Italy