Date:      Thu, 05 May 2011 20:50:26 -0400
From:      Jon Radel <jon@radel.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Home firewall with DLink router and FreeBSD

On 5/5/11 8:37 PM, Leonardo M. Ramé wrote:

> Hi, at home I have a DLink Dir 300 router to provide internet access for my home network. The network is composed by two Windows PCs, one Linux laptop and one FreeBSD server we use mainly for storage and as web/database server.
>
> I must add, the server only have one network card.

It becomes difficult to use a server as a firewall unless you have an
"inside" and an "outside" network.  Easiest is to simply add another
network card, should that be possible on your server.  Another
possibility is to use VLAN taggging and connect the server to a switch
that understands VLANs.

> I would like to know if its possible to use the FreeBSD server as a Firewall for the whole network, securing LAN and WiFi connections. If this can be done, then how? could you point me to some howto?.

Yes.  I'd start on the FreeBSD website and start reading things that
look useful.  If you're thinking about using pf as your firewall, which
I'd personally recommend though other options are perfectly workable
also, there's a nice document on the OpenBSD web site, IIRC.

> P.S.: this is the 2nd time I send this email, the first time it got caught by SpamAssassin. Maybe because a link in my signature.

We got both on the list.

--Jon Radel
jon@radel.com