Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 14:27:38 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Alexey Koptsevich <kopts@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, msmith@mass.dis.org
Subject:   Re: are backplanes needed for IDE RAID?

> We are buying 3ware 7810 IDE RAID controller (supports hot-swap) and
> thinking now about disk enclosures. There are some on the market (e.g.,
> backplane http://www.synetic.net/Synetic-Products/2-to-3-IDE.html) but I
> wonder do we need them? As far as I understand, some power switching is
> necessary for hot swap, but do backplanes provide any advantage against
> simple mobile racks with disk power switcher?

Backplanse can offer some advantages; eg. simplified mounting, better
cooling, better EMI shieliding.  But as long as the mounting hardware
supports power switching, you should be fine.

> Also, the backplane cited
> above has two power connectors, are they necessary for hot-swappable power
> supplies or not?

No; they would just be there because a single power connector is not rated
for the current draw of the entire backplane full of drives (plus it gives
you some protection against connector failure, which is more common than
one might like).