Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:55:00 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Sebastien GIORIA <gioria@FreeBSD.ORG>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-stable on IBM Netfinity

On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 09:51:57AM -0700, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> wrote:

> > One of my customer ask me, if we could install a FreeBSD-stable on
> > an IBM Netfinity 5500(or 5005 ?) with 2 processors and if the ethernet and
> > RAID-5 card is supported ?
>
> The onboard ServerRaid controller is not supported; the rest of the
> system works OK.  You'll need a supported SCSI controller.

Does FreeBSD support the Reliance chipset used in NF5000? You seem to be
the most knowledgeable about IBM PC servers. For what it's worth I think
the NF5000 is better suited, it has two-channel AIC-7895 onboard which
seems supported. No need for additional SCSI card. Well expandable in
the RAID case, it has 5 hot-swap bays, just plug the ServeRaid card.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee