Date:      Sat, 02 Jun 2001 16:07:42 -0400
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Morgan Davis <mdavis@cts.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG, wollman@FreeBSD.ORG, Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>, freebsd-print@bostonradio.org
Subject:   Re: lpd: Malformed from address

On Saturday, June 02, 2001 15:02:37 -0400, Garance A Drosihn
<drosih@rpi.edu> wrote:
+-----
| be dropped...).  My gut feeling is that the check is good to
| do, which gets us back to finding out why the implementation
| added with IPv6 does not seem to work for Morgan.
+--->8

For what it's worth, LPRng dropped the check because it puts a severe limit
on the number of incoming and outgoing print jobs, and many implementations
(especially DOS/Windows ones) don't restrict ports at all because the whole
concept of reserved ports is meaningless on them.  There's a good
discussion of the issues in the LPRng FAQ/HOWTO.

--
brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator        [WAY too many hats]         allbery@ece.cmu.edu