Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 1995 10:45:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jan@bagend.atl.ga.us (Jan Isley)
To:        hm@altona.hamburg.com
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A problem with disklabel & "use entire disk" on 2.0.5R.

Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:

> Hmm. The install prog has the choices 1) use a bootmgr 2) use a std MBR
> and 3) don't touch the MBR. With 1) and 2) i was not able to boot, shall
> i use 3) ? What if the disk were a virgin one without any existing "slices" ?

Okay, it may behave differently when you have no other os on the disk,
but... when I was testing the install program in May and June I had a
OS/2 Boot Manager partition, a DOS partition, an OS/2 partion and 600MB
of free space on disk0 and an empty disk1.  Every time I selected option
3 - do nothing to the MBR, whether I was putting FreeBSD on disk0, disk1
or both, IT DID TOUCH THE MBR.  If I had another controller and a virgin
disk I would be glad to test that case ad nauseum. :)
--
Jan Isley                If you couldn't find any weirdness,
<jan@bagend.atl.ga.us>   maybe we'll just have to make some!