Date:      Mon, 24 Dec 2012 19:35:57 -0500
From:      Chris Ross <cross+freebsd@distal.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changes to kern.geom.debugflags?

On Dec 23, 2012, at 16:56 , Chris Ross <cross+freebsd@distal.com> wrote:
> I had brought up a machine months ago with freebsd-9-stable.  I =
configured it to boot off of a single disk, with ZFS, expecting I would =
likely later attach the other disk to the zpool.  I tried to do that =
today, but find that I can't write the bootloader to either disk.
>=20
> gpart: /dev/da0a: Operation not permitted
>=20
>   [...]

  Okay.  It occurred to me today what was likely the problem.  I was =
running, even when single user, off of the zfs pool on the disks I was =
trying to write the bootloader to.

  I tar'd up /boot after my recent install from a Dec 22 9-stable, and =
moved it off-host.  Then, I booted off of the July stable-9 CD-ROM I =
have in the machine, and was able to write bootblocks (with gpart =
bootcode) and a bootloader (dd if=3D/boot/zfsloader of=3D/dev/${disk}a =
bs=3D512 oseek=3D1024 conv=3Dnotrunc).

  Now, the new problem.  When I try to boot my sparc64 with these bits, =
I see:

>> FreeBSD/sparc64 ZFS boot block
   Boot path:   /pci@1c,600000/scsi@2/disk@0,0:a
Consoles: Open Firmware console =20
ERROR: Last Trap: Division by Zero

{1} ok

  So, does anyone know if something has gone unstable in the sparc64 =
zfsboot in recent months?  If I boot from the cdrom again and load the =
July zfsboot via gpart bootcode, it boots correctly again.

  Thanks.  Any feedback appreciated.

               - Chris