Date:      Tue, 12 May 2009 18:39:32 +0200
From:      Matias Surdi <matiassurdi@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing Unix

Ese Oronsaye escribió:
> Hi
> I am a newbie to Unix with no experience in installing unix operating
> system. Have been through Download Freebsd but not quite sure what I should
> download.
> What is ISO and Distribution not quite sure which I should download.
> Can anyone help me with this.
> Regards
> Ese

You can start by downloading a ISO from here:

http://www.freebsd.org/where.html

The one you must download depends on the hardware you are going to
install on. A "standard desktop PC" normally is an i386, so you should
download in this case this file:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/7.2/7.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

If you browse the FTP folder (
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/7.2/ ) you
will see that there are another two disc images (ISOs whose name ends in
disc2 and disc3). You will require them also depending on the packages
you select to install, but with  the first one you should have enought
for a minimum installation.

Once downloaded the ISO, burn it to a CD and boot you computer from this
CD, remember that all the data on that PC will be lost.

Another option, is to boot the iso from any virtualization software such
as vmware or VirtualBox.

Remember that you can follow the details of the installation procedure
and several administrative tasks on the very useful FreeBSD handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

Matias.