Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 15:49:00 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Steve Howe <groggy@iname.com>
Cc:        "Alain G. Fabry" <fabry@panam.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing out man pages

Steve Howe wrote:

> i didn't know "col" was more efficient than "sed".  col is half the
> size of sed, and less complex, so you are probably correct that it is
> more "efficient" in a physical sense.

I don't know if it is

=== ben@scientia[p0]:~$ time man bash | sed 's/.^H//g' > /dev/null

real	0m1.405s
user	0m1.280s
sys	0m0.125s
=== ben@scientia[p0]:~$ time man bash | col -b > /dev/null

real	0m0.601s
user	0m1.490s
sys	0m0.110s

Certainly seems quicker though :-)

> however, sed is a better tool all around, and has a greater variety
> of uses, so it may be more efficient in a realistic sense for a new
> user to become familiar with sed.

True, and I still haven't learnt much about it :-(

> if the question applies to why is it in a shell script, the answer
> is that users of FreeBSD all have different uses for the OS.  and if
> my needs don't require my to learn every xyz utility and all their
> options, my effiency is increased by placing commonly used functions
> in scripts so i don't have to remember all the details.

I suppose so....

--
Ben Smithurst : ben@scientia.demon.co.uk : http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/

PGP: 0x99392F7D - 3D 89 87 42 CE CA 93 4C  68 32 0E D5 36 05 3D 16
     http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/ben/pgp-key.html (or use keyservers)