Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 2010 01:07:42 +0400
From:      Sergei Vyshenski <svysh@pn.sinp.msu.ru>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, dinoex@freebsd.org
Subject:   openssl port versioning

Hi,

There is a bunch of ports related to PKI (security/p5-openxpki*) which
requires exactly openssl-0.9.8x, because:

- openssl-0.9.8x version  (unlike openssl-0.9.7x) has full support for
utf-8, which is essential for complex PKI software.
- this bunch of ports is huge and complex, heavily uses low-level
functions of  openssl-0.9.8x, and it will take quite some time to adapt
for  openssl-1.0.0+

But today we have openssl from port with version 1.0.0 only.
Freebsd-6 or less has base openssl-0.9.7 which is bad for
security/p5-openxpki*.

Seems like we have to stop compiling this port on freebsd-6 or less
altogether.

Do you think if it is possible to return openssl-0.9.8x to the ports,
just to make people with FreeBSD-6 happy.

Regards,
Sergei