Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2018 06:57:38 -0500
From:      Charlie Li <ml@vishwin.info>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /lib/casper: read error: Invalid argument

On 14/01/2018 06:10, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> I tried to investigate with the USB image created 10th January
> 2018 from ISO downloads and it showed, that /boot/ was obviously
> intact, but files in /usr/sbin, /usr/bin were zero in size, also
> some libs in /usr/lib and /lib. While /boot/ seemingly being
> already installed while other portions failed, I knew from the past
> that I had to replace all /boot, /bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin, /usr/bin,
> /lib, /usr/lib , /usr/libexec and /libexec from the recent USB
> image. I did so via "pax -v -rw -pe", but I had to "chflags noschg"
> some files/libraries on the target to get them overwritten. I
> simply did a
>
> chflags noschg *
>
> to every folder/subfolder and "pax'ed" the destination then. So
> far. I'm able to boot into single user again, but when it comes to
> the shell and /bin/sh is supposed to be executed, I get the
> strange message:
>
> /lib/casper/: read error: Invalid argument
>
> and the prompt is jumping back to ensure the PASSWORD (console is
> password protected).

Something like this happened to me once, albeit a libc.so symbol
mismatch after a hard crash that corrupted that and some more system
files.

So far you're on the right track with copying files off the image,
though I extracted the relevant files/directory structures from the
base.txz that bsdinstall uses.
> Something is hindering to start the compiler somehow and it is
> related to /lib/casper/: read error: Invalid argument?
>
> What is wrong here? How to fix this?

Don't reboot out of the USB image. Stay there and chroot into your
mounted root filesystem, then run make installworld.

- --
Charlie Li
Can't think of a witty .sigline today…

(This email address is for mailing list use only;
replace local-part with vishwin for off-list communication)