Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2012 17:42:59 +0100
From:      Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com>
To:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is there a way to run FreeBSD ports through port 80?

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com> wr=
ote:

> On Jul 12, 2012, at 9:23 AM, Kaya Saman wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to introduce FreeBSD into my office and it's been looked
>> at with quite a bit of enthusiasm however, what makes it look bad is
>> our companies 'security' policy to block FTP.
>>
>> At present they are running a whole bunch of CentOS based boxes and
>> VM's which of course can be run through port 80 when using YUM.
>>

>> How does one get round this issue as my superiors are telling me that
>> opening up FTP is a security risk and therefor don't want to proceed?
>>

>> I would like to use ports specifically and not the pkg_add tool to get s=
oftware.

>> Can anyone sugget anything?
>>

> env ftp_proxy=3Dhost:port <command>
>
> where <command> is your normal command, such as "fetch".
>
> For a full list of environment variables you can use,=85
>
> $ ldd -f '%p\n' `which fetch` | xargs grep -alr ftp_proxy | xargs strings=
 -n 7 | grep _proxy
> fetch_no_proxy_match
> fetch_default_proxy_port
> http_proxy
> ftp_proxy
> no_proxy
>
> --
> Devin
>
> _____________
> The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confident=
ial. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message =
and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any =
manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be awa=
re that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and rev=
iew by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.

Thanks Devin for this however,

setenv ftp_proxy ftp://<ip>:<port>; indicates that FTP is being proxied out.

We simply have it banned on a Juniper firewall. So http is being
proxied by a web appliance but that's it... nothing else.

Regards,

Kaya