Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:24:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Dean <brdean@unx.sas.com>
To:        jmutter@ds.net
Cc:        William Woods <freebsd@cybcon.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP routing.....

James A. Mutter wrote:
> Brian Dean wrote:
> > host nebula {
> >   hardware ethernet 00:50:e4:ba:1c:22;
> >   fixed-address nebula;
> >   option routers 192.168.220.1;
> >   option domain-name-servers 207.69.188.185, 207.69.188.186, 207.69.188.187;
> >   option domain-name "foo.com";
> >   default-lease-time 604800;
> >   max-lease-time 2592000;
> > }
> >
> > In this case "nebula" is an entry in the /etc/hosts file.  You can
> > then install that host file on your 4 hosts.  Since it's only 4 hosts,
> > it's not too much to keep track of and maintain.  Not as elegant as
> > the BIND method, but it works for small installations.
> >

> I had considered adding that as a solution - but if he's just testing
> this idea for a larger installation then it quickly becomes
> impractical.  If you're going to go to the trouble of adding all that
> information on a per host basis you might as well just set them up
> manually.  :/
>
> If there's really a practical reason (And I'm sure that there is) to do
> that I'd love to hear about it.

Well, he did say that it was only 4 hosts ...

It only becomes a maintenance chore if you are often adding new hosts.
For a small "home network" or small office, say 10 systems or less,
this is practical and I know quite a few folks who do this, myself
included.  Also, I don't think that all the information needs to be
repeated.  The stuff that stays the same across hosts can be defined
as global parameters.  Then, only the "hardware ethernet" and
"fixed-address" lines need to be repeated for each host.

But you are correct, for anything larger this becomes impractical due
to keeping track of all the ethernect address associations with IP
addresses, though host file replication can be solved easily with NIS.

-Brian