Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 10:03:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, core@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/share/doc/handbook?

Satoshi Asami writes:
> Is there a the reason why the html version of the handbook isn't
> installed by default?  As far as I can tell, the sgml version
> compiles fine with "sgmlfmt -html".

Because there is no makefile.  I've put together a bsd.sgml.mk
that I've passed by Rod for approval.  He has not yet commented
on the latest revision.  I'll probably post it to core in the
next day or so for general review if I hear nothing (I gather Rod
is up to his ears in other stuff...).

A primary issue is the current make procedure for /usr/share/doc
is a little wierd and is somewhat inhospitable to non-troff
documents.  Specifically, the top level Makefile makes multiple
passes over the tree, each time with a different value of PRINTER
which determines the output generated.  This is okay so long as
all the documents in the tree are generated in the same way.

With different sorts of document (e.g. texinfo or sgml), then the
value of PRINTER becomes a problem.  For example, PRINTER=html
would cause great confusion for the troff documents.

What I think needs to be done is to have the
bsd.(doc|info|sgml).mk have a built in default list of formats to
generate and then replace the current toplevel Makefile for
/usr/share/doc with a standard subdir makefile.  It will make a
single pass over the tree and generate/install the output formats
appropriate for each document.

This is how I've set up my bsd.sgml.mk.  It currently ignores the
value of PRINTER, in favor of a FORMATS variable (which can be
overridden in individual makefiles or on the make command line).
As it stands with the old bsd.doc.mk, the /usr/src/shar/doc tree
is done in two passes which means the sgml docs (FAQ and
handbook) would be installed twice.

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============