Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 13:40:11 -0400
From:      Cat Okita <cat@uunet.ca>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        mpcd@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Snazzier FreeBSD home page

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Sean Kelly wrote:
> Anyway, I like the overall feel of the pages.  The initial home page
> seems a bit `busy'.  Left or right-justifying instead of the
> `stairstepping' of the quick links running down the left side of the
> page might help.  Also, the badges of honor at the bottom don't work
> too well with the copyright and number of access information.

I quite like the idea of the 'stepping', but graphically it outweighs
every thing else on the page, not to mention that the 'shadowing' shows
up very badly under my browser (it makes my eyes feel out of focus)

> The popup window that appears after pressing `FreeBSD QuickLinks'
> would be more useful if it were smaller.  Here's a place where icons
> might come in handy.  Icons would also encourage more browsing by
> people who aren't familiar with FreeBSD yet pressed the QuickLinks
> button (which is likely).

It would also be more useful if it was better integrated into the page -
I had to check several times before finding it *wry grin*

I think that the window is a reasonable size...but then again, I'm working
on a good sized monitor :>

> Overall, the Linux home page still has a more professional feel.  As
> FreeBSD is obviously the more professional operating system because of
> its heritage and design decisions, it should strive to exude that same
> quality in its web pages.  Were I in a position of power to choose
> between the two operating systems for a new ISP, and I had *just* the
> web pages to go on, I'd certainly think Linux is the more polished
> system.

The linux page is more coherent - ironically enough, the linux page has a
feeling of co-ordinated development, while the freebsd page seems to have
been attacked by different groups of people, with different aims :?

cheers!
cat