Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2011 12:35:54 -0700
From:      Tobias Oberstein <tobias.oberstein@tavendo.de>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org" <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   AW: rc.d script for running multiple VirtualBox VMs from /etc/rc.conf

> > I wanted to configure multiple VirtualBox VMs to startup automatically =
at
> boot time and generally be a nice citizen to the FreeBSD way of starting =
up
> stuff.
>=20
> Thanks for providing this, however there are several problems, some of
> which you outlined in your post.
>=20
> The canonical way to do what you're suggesting is to copy the script so t=
hat
> you have one script per process you want to start, each with a different

I've tried that first .. but for me it gets unwieldy when you need to manag=
e i.e. a dozen VMs

> $name. That way you avoid a lot of the complexity that you've created, an=
> everything works.

Could you explain how doing it in separate scripts will solve i.e.

> 2) when the system shuts down, it doesnt wait for "stop" to finish gracef=
ul shutdown of VMs

?

The problem is, that=20

VBoxManage controlvm ${vboxvm_name} acpipowerbutton

does exit immediately.

It does not wait until the VM is actually powered down.

Is there i.e. a rc.d "hook" which allows me to make the shutdown process wa=
it for some condition (at least up to say a limit of 20s)?

What is the canonical way of doing that kind of stuff?

Or is  there a way of just making the shutdown delayed for 30s independent =
of any of above?

Thanks,
Tobias