Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 02:42:16 +0100
From:      "H. Eckert" <ripley@nostromo.in-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I4B support for US ISDN?

Quoting William McVey (wam@sa.fedex.com):
> I have Sportster ISDN card (an ISA card which apparently is a passive
> ISDN device) inside a FreeBSD 2.2.8 device.

Please take a close look and cite the chips' labels.

> All I know is that I connect the ISDN card into the wall via a
> standard category 5 cable with RJ45 connectors.  The connection is at
> my house and is targetted for residential use.

Sounds pretty muche like S0 to me (8pin RJ45 with 4wire cable)
but then I've never seen a US style U-interface so far.  What I
know of the U-side of things is a 2wire cable that sticks into
NTBA.

> FreeBSD would be much more well received here if it supported this
> one piece of equipment.  It's particularly agravating to have
> hardware which is only usable by Windows.

It may very well be the case that the cards are already more-or-less
supported.  This doesn't help you a lot since even if you can get
your BSD machine to talk to the hardware, it won't communicate with
your telco's side.

Greetings,
				Ripley (sitting on the user side of
					things here)
--
H. Eckert, 10777 Berlin, Germany, http://www.in-berlin.de/User/nostromo/
ISO 8859-1: Ä=Ae, Ö=Oe, Ü=Ue, ä=ae, ö=oe, ü=ue, ß=sz.