Date:      Thu, 03 Jul 2014 18:41:05 -0500
From:      Graham Allan <allan@physics.umn.edu>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: replaced da devices not being detected

On 7/3/2014 3:03 PM, Graham Allan wrote:

> It does seem to me like we get to replace some number of drives without
> incident, then after some point no new da devices are detected.

I should have given some more info about the HBA etc in use - it's an
LSI 9205-8e (SAS2308, using mps driver), and dmesg is telling me the HBA
has (IT) firmware 14.00.00.00. Don't know if this is good or bad but it
appears to match the mps driver version, if that means anything.

I can see LSI is up to firmware 19.00.00.00 for the card, and I know
I've seen discussion here of the favored version, but can't find it now.

However SAS2IRCU can see the added drive even when camcontrol fails to,
so I'm not sure that it's related to the HBA as such - unless SAS2IRCI
gets that information by a different path such as querying the enclosure
controller.

Graham Allan
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota