Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:26:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de
Subject:   Re: broken re(4)

Gerrit Kühn wrote:
 > On the other hand, I have not been able to get more than about 10MByte/s
 > through the interfaces of this particular system. I have 1GBit-networking
 > equipment, and the other systems (which are used as router) have no
 > problem doing a throughput of >20MB/s. Even bonding the two interfaces
 > using lagg(4) does not improve the performance - where else could be the
 > bottleneck?

A few questions or hints ...

 - What is the CPU usage during your network test (user,
   sys, intr, idle)?

 - Do you see errors in "netstat -i"?

 - Do you use jumbo frames?

 - Is polling enabled?

 - Are there any network-related sysctls (/etc/sysctl.conf)
   or kernel settings?  Have you enabled kernel debugging
   features (INVARIANTS, WITNESS etc.)?

 - Do you have any packet filter rules (PF, IPF, IPFW)?

Best regards
   Oliver

"C++ is the only current language making COBOL look good."
        -- Bertrand Meyer