Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:15:40 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   language choices on FreeBSD

The Classiest Man Alive writes:
 > Is there anybody out there using FreeBSD as a platform for FORTRAN?  What
 > languages are people programming in out there on FreeBSD?  (Just out of
 > curiosity.)

Well, not currently, but I *did* once port a Fortran program to 386BSD.
Back at Weber State, they had once acquired a satellite tracking program
from NORAD; as my senior project I modified it to track the University's
satellite NUSAT-1 and to run on the Harris 100 minicomputer owned by the
electronics department.

A number of years later, while fooling around with some friends at
Weber, Terry Lambert showed my a system they had running 386BSD.  I
browbeat him into giving me an account on it so I could login over the
network; this started my introduction to 386BSD (I was an 'anonymous'
user starting at about 0.2 patchkit), then NetBSD, and finally FreeBSD.
When I discovered f2c, I dug up my old satellite tracking program source
code from my System V/AT at home and ported it again, called a friend
who was working on Webersat and got the orbit info for NUSAT-2.  That
night, I went into the mountains with my binoculars, and sure enough,
there was NUSAT-2 right on schedule.

Talk about portability: the original ran on S/360, then Harris H/100,
VAX/VMS somewhere along the way, SVR2, and finally 4.3 BSD.  Fortran is
dead, but it's still kicking.  I've done object-oriented graphics
programs in Fortran, using Oracle as an object data store.  A reasonably
good Fortran compiler with strong links to the C/C++ compiler is an
asset for any UNIX system, even today.