Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 15:02:07 +0100
From:      Dave Chapman <dave.chapman@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports system broken

Hi,

I've managed to completely screw up my ports collection, to the extent that I can't install anything now (don't want to get into how I achieved this, too painful/embarassing :-))
So, what I would like to know is: can I get my system back to a state as if it had never had any ports installed on it at all, so I can then put a fresh copy of the ports tree on it and start over again?
I'm thinking the procedure may go something like
- remove /usr/local
- make installworld to replace anything in /usr/local that wasn't put there by ports
- remove /usr/X11R6 (since X is part of the ports?)
- remove the package database under /var/db

Does this sound like it may work, or have I overlooked some glaringly obvious flaw in my plan?  It would be really good to find a solution other than a complete reinstall, as the base system (cvsup'd to 4.7 a couple of days ago) is working really well...

Regards,
Dave