Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:01:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Julian C. Dunn" <jdunn@aquezada.com>
To:        jedgar@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/16687: p5-Mysql building problem due to missing errmsg

[I sent this two weeks ago but some reason it never got through to you --
didn't bounce, though]

On 13-Feb-2000 Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:
> On a fresh install of mysql322-server using the current port (BTW,
> errmsg.h is installed from mysql322-client, which is a dependency of
> mysql322-server):
>
> $FreeBSD: ports/databases/mysql322-server/Makefile,v 1.72 2000/01/25
> 14:34:35 dirk Exp $
> $FreeBSD: ports/databases/mysql322-client/Makefile,v 1.62 1999/08/25
> 05:21:19 obrien Exp $
>
> jedgar@earth:~$ ls /usr/local/include/mysql
> dbug.h     m_string.h   my_list.h     mysql.h          mysqld_error.h
> errmsg.h   my_config.h  my_pthread.h  mysql_com.h      raid.h
> m_ctype.h  my_global.h  my_sys.h      mysql_version.h
> jedgar@earth:~$
>
> Are you seeing something different using the port?

Okay, here's what I believe happened. The mysql322-server port checks for
the existence of the mysql binary, as evidence as to whether or not the
client is installed. Since I had the client installed from a previous
build of mysqlxxx-server, when I rebuilt the server, it didn't attempt to
rebuild the dependency. I just built the client by hand and it correctly
installed the errmsg.h file, as well as the other headers.

So what do you suggest as a fix, if any? Have the makefile check for the
version of -client before building -server?

- Julian

--
Julian C. Dunn <jdunn@ophelia.aquezada.com>
IEEE Student Branch, Systems Administrator