Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:34:37 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel gigabit driver

Mike Smith wrote:

> > > That still is under discussion.
> >
> > More to the point, let the respective drivers stand on their own merits.
> > There is no need to "decide" for one or the other.
>
> This is, unfortunately, not entirely true.  One of them is going to have to
> be the default, since we can't have them both attach to the card. 8)

Right now it's the user's choice.  Neither are in GENERIC.  We have a
preload mechanism that can serve us well enough for this for the time being
until it is clear what we should do.

CDROM installs are most likely going to use cdldr soon so we will have the
entire module suite available from loader.  For boot floppies we should
probably use the one that is smaller on disk.. but we also have the the
embryonic "driver disk" in the pipeline for real floppy installs.

Cheers,
-Peter