Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2019 11:42:34 +0100
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: dns/bind911 - statistics-file

--zzbertji3utfq7gt

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 07:50:45PM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> Mat,
>=20
> I encountered an odd situation where my stats file kept changing permissi=
ons.  With every reinstall of bind911,
> the permissions on var/run/named/stats change to chown root:bind which pr=
events bind from updating the file.
>=20
> This is what I need:
>=20
> $ ls -l /var/run/named/stats
> -rw-r--r--  1 bind  bind  11507 Jan 20 00:45 /var/run/named/stats
>=20
> Could that change be carried out by this file?
>=20
>   https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/dns/bind911/files/BIND.chroot.dis=
t?view=3Dmarkup#l24
>=20
> I don't see a reference to /var/run/named/stats in BIND.chroot.dist but c=
an't help but wonder if it's something similar.
>=20
> I have been using these options:
>=20
>         directory       "/usr/local/etc/namedb/working";
>         pid-file        "/var/run/named/pid";
>         dump-file       "/var/dump/named_dump.db";
>         statistics-file "/var/run/named/stats";
>         zone-statistics yes;
>=20
> When researching this tonight, I noticed the sample configuration uses /v=
ar/run/named.stats. Perhaps I'm doing this wrong.
> I am happy to change my configuration, but first I write in case the scri=
pt is doing something unexpected.

I do not think anything in the BIND9 ports would change the file permission=
s.

The mtree file only touches the directories to make sure they have the
correct permissions, so it is not it.  Moreover the mtree file is ONLY
used when using named_chrootdir to chroot named, which does not appear
to be your case.
The BIND9 ports have not had a pkg-install script for years, so it's not
it either.
The rc file does not chown anything, so it's not it doing it either.

Side note, the sample configuration uses /var/stats/named.stats, not
/var/run/named.stats.  And it was ever since it was added to the base
system named.conf file back in 2004 (in src r135918).

So I'd say something else on your system "fixes" the file's permissions.

--=20
Mathieu Arnold

--zzbertji3utfq7gt

--zzbertji3utfq7gt--