Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:04:17 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc:        "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dogfooding over in clusteradm land [cvs2svn for ports]

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 05:20 -0800, Sean Bruno wrote:
>> We're seeing what looks like a syncher/ufs resource starvation on 9.0 on
>> the cvs2svn ports conversion box. =A0I'm not sure what resource is tappe=
>> out. =A0Effectively, I cannot access the directory under use and the
>> converter application stalls out waiting for some resource that isn't
>> clear. (Peter had posited kmem of some kind).
>>
>> I've upped maxvnodes a bit on the host, turned off SUJ and mounted the
>> f/s in question with async and noatime for performance reasons.
>>
>> Can someone hit me up with the cluebat? =A0I can give you direct access =
>> the box for debuginationing.
>>
>> Sean
>
> BTW, this project is sort of stalled out by this problem.

A few things come to mind (in no particular order):

1. What does svn say before it dies?
2. What does df for the affected partition output?
3. Do you have syslog output that indicates where the starvation is occurri=
ng?
4. What do the following sysctls print out?

kern.maxvnodes kern.minvnodes vfs.freevnodes vfs.wantfreevnodes vfs.numvnod=
es

5. What does top / vmstat -z say for memory right before svn goes south?
6. Are you running the import as an unprivileged user, or root?
7. Has the login.conf been changed on the box?

Thanks,
-Garrett