Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 00:49:47 +1100
From:      Chris Pauly <l@binkyware.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Firewall solutions?

Hello,

I've been trying to get a decent firewall running here but i there always
seems to be something in the way, and i could do with some advice.

I've got 2 computers (Windows and FreeBSD - each with their own real ip)
and a 3rd computer with no real ip (it's using 192.168.1.2 at the moment),
all needing to go through a cable modem, but still be firewalled and
networked (microsoft network - ie: shared drives/printers), and the
192.168.1.2 machine to be masqueraded. At first i played around with
subnets and managed to have all 3 computers on my switch, with the cable
modem coming off a second NIC in FreeBSD, but it was rather messy and
ruined the routing for the subnet that i was faking.

Secondly i tried bridging the 2 NICs in FreeBSD, which seemed to work
except for 3 things:
* FreeBSD spontaneously crashing with some sort of error like "invalid page
something-a-rather" and rebooting randomly after only a few minutes of
operation - i disabled bridging and it stops crashing.
* Difficulty with firewalling for each interface and direction (data for my
lan seemed to go out the cable modem NIC according to ipfw, but actually
went through my LAN NIC)
* Windows networking not going too well because of broadcasts not working.

My third solution which i haven't tried yet was to simply plug all 3
computers into the switch and buy another computer for a dedicated
firewall/bridge between the uplink on my switch and the cable modem. It's
rather expensive though and i'm not 100% sure if it'd work.

Could anybody please help me? I need to know if any of my first 2
configurations would've worked if i'd done it a different way, or if the
3rd solution will actually work, or if there is another solution?

At the moment i have the 192.168.1.2 going into FreeBSD, and FreeBSD and
Windows into the switch, with the cable modem on the uplink - which is not
the ideal setup because windows is not firewalled and i don't even want to
think about trying microsoft networking with such an awkward and insecure
setup.

Regards,

Chris