Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 95 09:17 CST
From:      steve@simon.chi.il.us (Steven E. Piette)
To:        dufault@hda.com
Cc:        dswain@bev.net, mrcpu@cdsnet.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: support

> From: Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
> Subject: Re: support
> To: mrcpu@cdsnet.net (Jaye Mathisen)
> Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 08:00:37 -0500 (EST)
> Cc: dswain@bev.net, questions@freebsd.org
>

> > I don't know specifically about FreeBSD, but with BSD/OS, I've had to
> > take the 3com disk, boot dos, and disable the plug and play ability on
> > the card.  Once I did that, it's worked fine under BSD/OS.
> >
> > And now that I think about it, that fixed it for FreeBSD as well.
> >
> > On Thu, 2 Nov 1995, Jim Swain wrote:
> >
> > > I have a general question that I do not seem to be able to find any
> > > documentation.  I am attempting to install FreeBSD on my PC (Gateway2000).
> > > It has a 3Com Etherlink III card
> > > in it (3C509b - TPO).  I have used the boot floopy to begin my installation
> > > and manually configured the correct i/o ports and IRQ.  However, FreeBSD
> > > still does no recognize that I have this ethernet card.  Where can I find
> > > documentation on troubleshooting this type of problem?
>
> You do have to disable Plug 'n play.
>
> There is something funny about that 3c509 card, though.  I have
> two 3C509s and a kernel configured with support for an 8 port BOCA
> card.  The BOCA card is currently not in either of the systems.
>
> On ONE system only, when I boot that kernel I have to disable the
> probes of the BOCA card for the 3c509 to be found.  I haven't sorted
> out what is going on yet, but you may try disabling things that
> aren't present.
>
> The systems aren't identical though the kernel is.  It could be
> the successful probes of some cards or failing probes of others
> causing the 3c509 to be found.
>
> Sorry I can't be any more help than that.  The BOCA card is at:
>
> > sio4     0x100      -1    -1    0x0     0        4     0xb05      Yes
> > sio5     0x108      -1    -1    0x0     0        5     0xb05      Yes
> > sio6     0x110      -1    -1    0x0     0        6     0xb05      Yes
> > sio7     0x118      -1    -1    0x0     0        7     0xb05      Yes
> > sio8     0x120      -1    -1    0x0     0        8     0xb05      Yes
> > sio9     0x128      -1    -1    0x0     0        9     0xb05      Yes
> > sio10    0x130      -1    -1    0x0     0        10    0xb05      Yes
> > sio11    0x138      15    -1    0x0     0        11    0xb05      Yes
> > sio4: disabled, not probed.
> > sio5: disabled, not probed.
> > sio6: disabled, not probed.
> > sio7: disabled, not probed.
> > sio8: disabled, not probed.
> > sio9: disabled, not probed.
> > sio10: disabled, not probed.
> > sio11: disabled, not probed.
>
> and the 3c509 is at:
>
> > ep0 at 0x300-0x30f irq 10 on isa
> > ep0: aui/bnc/utp[*BNC*] address 00:a0:24:11:ad:de irq 10
>
> --
> Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
> HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936
> dufault@hda.com             Fax:   508 433 5267

The problem is that the 3Com cards have an ID port. In ISA mode
writing a zero to any address (0x1X0) in that range sets the ID port
to that address and a second zero write to that address resets the ID sequence.

Other values written to the ID port are processed as commands.
00 - 7f return the card to the initial state.
80 - bf read EEPROM data
c0 - cf Global Reset
d0 - d7 set tag register
d8 - df test adaptor at tag
e0 - fe activate adaptor
ff activate adaptor at eeprom values

In EISA machines you can disable this in favor of a slot based address
at 0xSc80 - 0xSc8f  and 0xS000 to 0xS00f.

So, the BOCA as addressed conflicts with the 3C509 ID port. If I remember
correctly (I've only had 4 hours of sleep) the ie driver also does the
same ISA thing for the earler 3Com card it supports.

Steve