Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:56:57 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        Greg Panula <greg.panula@dolaninformation.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with compiling some port

-segmentation fault-
press any key to reboot
Damn damn damn Greg Panula said, after restarting his
PC and mailer on Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 11:19 .

> Bill Vermillion wrote:

> > More than a few ports are failing for me with errors coming
> > from the configure program.   This is on three different 4.6
> > systems, two STABLE and one 4.6.1.

> > The program wants expat-1.95.4 and the compile fails.  I checked
> > and the last package is is 1.95.2.  I >need< to get rsync compiled,
> > and that is also not a package.

> Maybe try updating your ports tree. checkout:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup
> .html for information about cvsup and updating the ports
> collection.

It has been done.  Complete OS /usr/src was nuked before the 4.6
builds, and the entire ports tree was cleaned.

> The Makefile in my /usr/ports/textproc/expat2/ shows a port version of
> 1.95.4

Correct.  And that is the part that won't build.  It gets the
sources from source forge and then fails compiling that 1.95.4

When I've had problems in the past I've tried installing a package
but the package is the 1.95.2.

The errors are coming from the config file.  Lynx also depends on
the 1.95.4 and that's the thing that wont compile.

The errors are along the line of CFLAGS not found, along with
CPPFLAGS, CPP, LDFLAGS, build_alias, target_alias_set - all not
found.

After the above I get 'configure: error: can run /bin/ksh
conftools/config.sub.  I also tried the 'toor' login to be sure
it was not a ksh problem and got the smae but with cant run
/bin/sh ....

Three machines - same symptoms.  One is P166 with SCSI IBM,
one is PPRO-200 with IDE, another is a P3 with an IDE so it is
completely hardware independant.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com