Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:43:40 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcibridge card (really)

> SCI is scaleable coherent interface, not scsi. This is a distributed
> shared memory system that plugs into the PCI bus in this case. But the
> card is configured as a bridge, not a device.  I can't figure out how to
> get freebsd to call my initialization code short of modifying pcisupport.c
> In other words, I'm not real clear on how bridges can be added to the
> kernel in the same modular way that pci cards are.

Ok, belay my last comment - it does DSM after all.

The PCI code *should* be passing the card's vendor/device ID to all the
PCI drivers, and that should mean that your driver sees it.

It sounds like the "generic chipset" code is ending up in the linker
set before your driver though, so it claims it early.  You can check to
see if this is the case by diking out the call to generic_pci_bridge().

This is germane to Garret's comments about needing to separate
'catchall' drivers from the device-specific ones; if it'll help you at
all we can implement an interim solution that will cover what seems to
be your problem.