Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:48:30 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "Malloc type lacks magic" show-stopper solved

> First you don't have the same gcc version number in FreeBSD 3.3 and 4.1 and in
> Linux.

Well, 4.1.1 comes with gcc 2.95.2, which is what I used for 3.3 and the
Linux kernels as well.

> If you read Documentation/Changes in even the most recent Linux kernel
> (4.0 Test 9) it is explicitly stated that old gcc is recommended over newer
> ones, and that bugs occur with newer ones.

Yes, but isn't the main reason for that that the Linux kernel (at least
the pre-2.4 ones) is coded in such a way that it breaks with newer
versions of gcc that are less forgiving of such things?

> Second, i recommend you to write a program with a significative amount of
> computations and compile it with all flags possible, -O -O2 -O3 -Os and
> measure the execution time. You may be surprised. Last time i did that
> -O was the faster!

This is the crux... I don't think anyone has done a good exhaustive test
of whether or not the opts are worth it. Will look into it.

Cheers,

-- Juha