Date:      14 Apr 1999 14:20:25 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
To:        andy <andy@sympad.net>
Cc:        Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd + interbase + ibperl module

andy <andy@sympad.net> writes:

> I've got interbase4 binary distro containing aout libraries which
> are to be used by one of the perl interbase modules.
>
> Being on elf system this module is compiled as elf, which can't use
> aout interbase libraries. (?)
>
> How do I solve this problem?
>
> Do I need to compile aout perl to be able to use aout interbase libraries?
> Well, in case i've got aout perl, how would I compile any module as aout to
> be compatible with aout perl?
>
> These elf & aout got me down.
> Please help me out.

I would do it like this:

o compile and test aout perl.

o install it into some location;  I think that /usr/local/bin is quite alright;
  don't let aout perl substitute standard /usr/bin/perl executable, though.

o install your libraries. The best location for them is at /usr/local/lib/aout.

o start a shell with environment tuned to launch aout perl.  In this
  example, put /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin in your path (just for this session).

o also, do
	OBJFORMAT=aout; export OBJFORMAT
  in the shell.

o if your libraries (interbase, whatever) are shared, make sure to
	ldconfig -aout -R
  to update aout-.so cache (do it as root)

o now you should be able to compile all necessary perl XS modules
  which use (interbase, whatever) libraries.  Do it.

That's seem to be all.  After performing all those steps you should be
able to run /usr/local/bin/perl and use XS modules you need.

Please note that all this, except compiling aout perl, is untested.

Hope this helps.

--
ep0: 3c509 in test mode. Erase pencil mark!
                  -- man 4 ep DIAGNOSTICS section