Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 01:42:42 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Debugging over the Ethernet?

"George V. Neville-Neil" wrote:
>         Now that Luigi has put in polling support for some ethernet drivers
> I was wondering how much work it would be to make the remote kernel debugging
> run over the ethernet.  I have worked on systems like this before (it's the
> reason
> I did polling network device drivers in Wind River's VxWorks) but it depends
> on a debugging system that has the ability to have its back end swapped out.
>
>         Who would I talk to about how kernel debugging works at the
> lowest layers right now?  Which source files should I look at first.

You would need to also have J. Lemon's patch to get rid of NETISR,
or your TCP/IP stack will never run.  Even so, his patch does not
run everything to completion (i.e. it is not the same as LRP), it
only runs it up so far, and then stops.

You would also need to do the transmit processing manually, which,
even if you had implemented LRP, or used the LRP with the bad
license, still requires seperate processing.

If you were to use raw ethernet datagrams, and do the retransmit
and encapsulation yourself, rather than relying on TCP for retransmit
or IP for encapsulation, then you might be able to do this (see xnet
in /etc/protocols).

-- Terry