Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2008 00:55:33 +0100
From:      Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: Fix for GPE livelock on HPs

On 12/23/-58 20:59, Nate Lawson wrote:
> Nate Lawson wrote:
>> Volker wrote:

>>> Nate,
>>>
>>> can you be a bit specific for a) what GPE is, b) what the problem is,
>>> c) what to look for (any test procedures?) and d) which HP laptop
>>> models might be affected?
>>>
>>> I do have an Omnibook vt6200 (P-IV 1.8G) running 6-STABLE and a new HP
>>> 6715b (Tur-X2 TL-60) running 7-RC1 (currently installing on this, OS
>>> is not yet fully set up).
>>>
>>> If I knew what to look for, I might test your patches (at least on the
>>>  7-RC1 version).
>> A GPE is an interrupt of sorts.  I'm looking for any bad behavior the
>> patch might cause.  I'm certain it fixes lockups some HPs had during
>> thermal zone events (i.e. fan switching on when it gets hot).  Pretty
>> much anyone with a laptop that locks up and you suspect acpi should test
>> it.  And anyone who is willing to test it on another brand laptop to be
>> sure the patch doesn't break anything more would be welcome.
>>
>> You should be able to do "sysctl hw.acpi" and see the temperature and
>> "apm" to see battery status without any new problems after applying the
>> patch.
>
> I've added a patch for 6-stable also (attached).  Please test if you
> have a laptop and 6.x.  See -current for the 7.x patch if that's
> relevant to you.
>
> -Nate

Nate,

I'm sorry, your patch applies cleanly but does not compile on 6-STABLE
(csup'ed today, applied patch defer_gpe_6x.diff posted on 2008-01-15).

===> acpi/acpi (all)
cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE
-nostdinc -I-
-I/usr/src/sys/modules/acpi/acpi/../../../contrib/dev/acpica
-DHAVE_KERNEL_OPTIO
N_HEADERS -include /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CESAR/opt_global.h -I. -I@
-I@/contrib/a
ltq -I@/../include -finline-limit=8000 -fno-common -g
-I/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CES
AR -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -mno-mmx
-mno-3dnow -mn
o-sse -mno-sse2 -ffreestanding -Wall -Wredundant-decls
-Wnested-externs -Wstrict
-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual
 -fformat
-extensions -std=c99 -Wsystem-headers -Werror -Wall -Wno-format-y2k
-Wno-uniniti
alized -c
/usr/src/sys/modules/acpi/acpi/../../../contrib/dev/acpica/evgpe.c
/usr/src/sys/modules/acpi/acpi/../../../contrib/dev/acpica/evgpe.c: In
function
`AcpiEvAsynchExecuteGpeMethod':
/usr/src/sys/modules/acpi/acpi/../../../contrib/dev/acpica/evgpe.c:664:
warning:
 implicit declaration of function `AcpiOsExecute'
/usr/src/sys/modules/acpi/acpi/../../../contrib/dev/acpica/evgpe.c:664:
warning:
 nested extern declaration of `AcpiOsExecute'
/usr/src/sys/modules/acpi/acpi/../../../contrib/dev/acpica/evgpe.c:664:
error: `
OSL_NOTIFY_HANDLER' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/src/sys/modules/acpi/acpi/../../../contrib/dev/acpica/evgpe.c:664:
error: (
Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/usr/src/sys/modules/acpi/acpi/../../../contrib/dev/acpica/evgpe.c:664:
error: for each function it appears in.)
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/acpi/acpi.

BTW, reading the source code changes and your commit comments, I'm
pretty sure I've seen those ACPI related problems on my HP Omnibook
vt6200 using 6-STABLE. Sometimes the tz0 temperature values have been
nailed to a fixed value, sometimes the system went too hot (with or
without the fan running), sometimes it was just freezing and no way
out to revitalize the notebook.

I haven't reported this before because something like "my system
freezes w/o message" or "the system does stupid things but I don't
have an error message" is most likely not the kind of report to get a
useful reply for.

If you've got another patch for a 6-STABLE target, I'll be happy to test.

Thanks!

Volker