Date:      Sat, 08 Sep 2012 19:22:02 -0500
From:      Bryan Drewery <bryan@shatow.net>
To:        Olli Hauer <ohauer@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Subject:   Re: Removing CVS from HEAD

On 9/8/2012 7:17 PM, Olli Hauer wrote:
> On 2012-09-09 01:50, Bryan Drewery wrote:
>> On 9/8/2012 6:46 PM, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>> As I said before:  CVS (and RCS) are both GPL-licensed tools that (as
>>> of 10.x) no longer serve any purpose in the base system.  ... They are
>>> [therefore] not needed in the FreeBSD base.
>>
>> Yes please, deprecate and remove both.
>>

> CVS and RCS is really handy if you have to work on isolated
> machines and cannot install a modern VCS, there it is always
> a better fall-back then copy1/2/3 ...
>
> If it has to go I have to use the fall-back method in future :(

I agree fully they can be handy, and other handy tools could be present.
But this is as straight forward as:

# portsnap fetch extract
# make -C /usr/ports/devel/my_vcs_tool install clean

Or now even (considering CURRENT):

# pkg install devel/my_vcs_tool

Given how easy it is to easy install (the latest) version of some handy
tool like this, it's odd we have some, but not other, tools in base.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery