Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 2009 14:46:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, james michael <jamesthefishy@gmail.com>, Matt Olander <matt@ixsystems.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Bounties

Matt Olander wrote:
 > james michael wrote:
 > > I find this completely useless as a site. No one is going to get
 > > "flash 9 on freebsd with opera" for 200 dollars. I know people will
 > > want to add bounties to it and it will be like 250 then like 300 and
 > > as time passes it will be a million dollars or such but I don't
 > > think the problem is that people aren't willing to do the work, its
 > > that places like adobe has closed its software so that we can't
 > > really create anything.
 >
 > Actually, Flash9 on FreeBSD 7.x is working pretty good now with Linux
 > emulation.

Unfortunately only with Firefox, and it's far from perfect.

I tried to get Flash9 working the past few days with the
latest RELENG_7 and the latest ports.  This is on a UP
i386 machine, so nothing special.

 - Native Opera:  No go.  It segfaults.

 - Linux Opera:  Works somewhat, but hangs often, leaves
   lots of dead processes behind.  Generally unusable.

 - Native Firefox3:  Works most of the time.  Problems
   with youtube (hangs quite often).  Most other sites
   seem to work better.

 - Linux Firefox:  Didn't try because the port is marked
   "forbidden" due to security issues.

I definitely prefer Opera for normal browsing because it's
faster and has more useful features, so I use it most of
the time.  I only start up Firefox when I need to visit
a site that requires Flash, which doesn't happen too
often, fortunately.

Certainly, I wouldn't mind if someone improved the existing
nspluginwrapper to work better with native Opera, or write
a new software from scratch that enables using Flash with
native Opera.  I might even add to the Bounty, although I
can't really afford more than a two-digit figure.  But then
again, if a sufficiently large number of people added a
small amount to the bounty, it might become attractive
enough for a developer to look at it.

Best regards
   Oliver

Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse.
        -- Larry Wall