Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:59:21 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Will Saxon <saxonww@ufl.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mouse question

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 05:27:30PM -0500, Will Saxon wrote:
> Not certain what list this ought to go to, perhaps -questions so I
> apologize if this is not the right one.

-questions was the right place.  This has nothing do with current.
Redirecting to -questions.

> I was wondering if there could be a way to 'force' a type of ps/2 mouse. I
> have a logitech firstmouse+, with a wheel. It works fine if it is plugged
> directly into the back of this machine. However, I have it running through
> a KVM switch so that I can have one mouse for both of my machines. When
> in this configuration, the wheel action never works (although it works on
> the other machine, which runs windows), and the button action sometimes
> also doesn't work (this is rare).
>
> When plugged into the switch, I get this:
>
> psm0: failed to get data.
> psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
>

> When plugged directly into the machine the third line comes up with
> MouseMan+.
>
> I have tried to manipulate moused to account for the wheel by mapping the
> wheel events as extra buttons, and I have tried to do the same in
> XF86Config. Neither work.
>
> Not terribly important, but it would be nice to know if there is something
> I can do about it.

Unless your switch supports wheel mice (in which case it would just
work) I believe you are SOL.  I tried a coupld of KVM solutions before
buying one from Black Box that explicitly supported wheel mice.  The
problem (I believe) is that KVMs must actuall emulate the mouse protocol
so they must know what your mouse thinks it is doing.  I'm pretty happy
with my switch, it's the Personal Serv Switch.  It's a bit more
expensive, but it actually works.  The only problem I've found is that
it occationaly looses sync with the mouse, but there is a keyboard
command to reset the mouse which generally fixes it.

-- Brooks