Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 00:32:46 -0600
From:      Allen Hyer <allenh@wtrt.net>
To:        "Michael P. Deslippe" <tensbum@ix.netcom.com>, questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Domain Name

At 07:50 PM 12/26/96 -0500, Michael P. Deslippe wrote:
>I'm using FreeBSD 2.1.6.  The original IP was set up for another purpose
>and has a very arcane domain name.  I am now seting it up to be useful.
>However, when I first installed FreeBSD I told it the arcane name.  How do
>I get FreeBSD to now recognize itself as the new name?
>
>The DNS name is set (ex.:, handy.dan.com), however, everytime I send a
>message to the server, it comes back with it's old name
>(ex.:,hupX.artle.gin.com).  In addition, if you telnet or ftp to the site,
>you see FreeBSD 2.1.6 (hupX.artle.gin.com) and I want FreeBSD 2.1.6
>(handy.dan.com).
>
>How do I change it?

First, sorry for the last post, hit the wrong key and sent it by accident.

Now, use your favorite text editor and edit /etc/sysconfig  In the
NetConfig section there is entries for host name, ip address, etc.  Change
it there and do a restart.

Allen Hyer
System Administrator
West Texas Rural Telephone