Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 13:34:12 +0100
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        Thor Legvold <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
Cc:        friar_josh@webwarrior.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall rules (ipfw)

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 01:57:15PM +0000, Thor Legvold wrote:
> Ok, back to the easy way :-)  My link is more like a T1 speed (well, actualy
> it's 2Mb/sec) amd the FBSD server is a P3 450 with 128MB RAM, so I think it
> should be able to handle the traffic. I just figured that removing all
> non-gre traffic (at very least incoming) would both better security, improve
> nat/ipfw performance (lower the load) and simplify the ruleset following the
> nat translation.
What about ipfilter/ipnat combo for this setup ? ipfilter has way better
performance than ipfw (or you should mess up the config) since it doesn't have
to copy packets from kernel to userland. At home (cable) I use it on a 486-33/
16MB. I had natd running for a while but that caused a 100% cpu load when
there was much traffic, now with ipnat it never gets higher then 20% ;-)
Gr,
--
Axel Scheepers
UNIX System Administrator