Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2019 21:39:57 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wireless interface

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 18:50:53 +0000, Carmel NY wrote:
> Plus, you then have to install a GUI. Now, if you
> want to compare a FreeBSD system sans GUI, you have to compare it
> against a MS Server, not the regular Windows version design for home or
> office users.

Your comparison of "Windows 10" vs. FreeBSD is also unfair.
You'd better compare it to a FreeBSD-based preinstalled and
preconfigured system, such as TrueOS (ex PC-BSD), where you
get a GUI and a set of common applications in the normal
install. Plus you do _not_ get spyware preinstalled. ;-)

You also are not urged to register an account with a US-based
company, which is a win in itself. Always remember that there
are many people who are willing to provide confidential
information for no good reason to any computer program or web
page that asks for it.

"The computer should know what it's doing. If it says, 'enter
your PIN here', I enter my PIN here. I have nothing to hide.
And I want to see the dancing elephants for free." ;-)

> This is not about "hand-holding"; it is about bring the OS into the
> modern age. My machine is supposed to be my slave, not the other way
> around.

This is very interesting: You consider a "Windows"-based
computer still a PC, a _personal_, YOUR _personal_ computer?
Especially with the consumer-enabled background updating
processes (good _and_ bad at the same time), system changes
are very often a surprise for users, and in most cases, it's
the kind of "it doesn't work anymore" kind of surprise...

"Windows" might be okay for certain cases, as long as it works.
But as soon as something does not work, or stops working, you
have nearly no on-board diagnostic means. You can hope that
the next update will make the printer work again, or that if
you delete and re-install the scanner driver, the scanner will
work again. But you don't know for sure. Hope is what you need.
FreeBSD, on the other hand, allows you to find out by yourself
what might be wrong. Its ability to break down obscure and
closed processes like "connect to a WLAN", which is in fact
a quite complex process, makes it far easier to debug things.

Just a few independent thoughts. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany