Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:06:55 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, asami@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: how to tag ports before doing major changes and suggestion ...

Andreas Klemm wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I want to committ changes to the ghostscript6 port.
>
> These changes are huge and I'd like to tag the port
> prior committing the changes, so that a parallel
> ghostscript65 port can be avoided.
>
> Just for the case 65 doesn't do well, I could backout stuff
> more easier, since patches vanished and have been added, etc ...

Hm, what's the problem? You can always use -D cvs option to get version of the port
just prior to your upgrade. No tag really necessary here.

> While I'm at it ...
> I noticed, that some people use new naming conventions for
> patches, by using descriptive names instead of the patch-xy
> scheme.

It's easier to preserve history with this scheme, as there is 1-to-1 mapping between
name of the patch and name of the file being patched. Please consider the following
situation: you have a long-living port (ghostscript should be a good example) with a
lot of history. Obviously there are lot of patches both active and in Attic, so each
time you do an upgrade and see the need to add a new patch you have to grep patches
in the Attic to see if you should revive some patch-xx from the Attic, or you can
allocate a new name that was not used previously. This is PITA of course. With the
new conventions it works automagically.

> How's the motivation to change existing port to that new scheme ?
> Does the port maintainer simply move the file within the repository
> or do I have to delete and add the patch under the new name ???

You should ensure that the history is preserved, i.e. you have either ask repomeister
to repo-copy existing patches into the corresponding ones with new names and only
then remove old ones, or use old names for the old patches, and new conventions for
the new patches. I would suggest to take a look at my forthcoming patchtool tool
(~sobomax/public_html/patchtool), that should simplify operations if you would prefer
the latter way.

-Maxim