Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2014 18:55:07 +1000
From:      Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Version of pf & Any impact to FreeBSD re ALTQ removal from OpenBSD 5.6

Two questions:

1. With this announcement
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20140419151959
by the OpenBSD project concerning their dropping of ALTQ for their new
bandwidth and priority mechanism, can anyone share/advise what impact,
if any, this will this have for ALTQ and hence pf on FreeBSD.  Will we
remain with ALTQ for the next few years?

After 11 years with ipfw, nat and dummynet I'm considering migrating to
pf, primarily for its nat with keep-state and QOS via ALTQ-CBQ
capabilities.  This all started with the tribulation of enabling ftp in
anything like a stateful manner.

Is there any plan to track the changes that OpenBSD is taking, or for
that matter is there a need to take advantage of their experience in
queuing/prioritisation in the foreseeable future (say 3 years)?  I
suspect that it will be a major task to replace ALTQ.

2. Also could someone advise which version of pf we have from OpenBSD in
FreeBSD 10 Stable.  From the svn logs (ref 1) it appears that pf was
last imported from OpenBSD at 4.6 and a lot of updates and changes have
been applied.

The Copyright notice in pf.c on FreeBSD10 Stable is dated 2012, while
__FBSDID("$FreeBSD: stable/10/sys/netpfil/pf/pf.c 265008 2014-04-27
09:05:34Z mm $").
>From 9.2-Beta2
__FBSDID("$FreeBSD: stable/9/sys/contrib/pf/net/pf.c 243401 2012-11-22
12:11:32Z glebius $");

There is quite a lot of documentation on pf, but it is often unclear
which version I should hang my hat on. And as a newbie to pf, well - its
a challenge.

Ref:
1)
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/10/sys/netpfil/pf/pf.c?sortby=date&view=log
[2 years, 11 months ago Update to pf from OpenBSD 4.5. Though a lot of
changes have occurred since then].
2) http://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/newest/post47.html

Regards, Dewayne