Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 11:35:34 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Jahanur R Subedar <jahanur@jjsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getway setup help through  cable modem!

On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 11:22:34PM -0500, Jahanur R Subedar wrote:
> Thank you for you response.
>
> I have a home network and I am using this 17.16.0.0 virtual
> addresses.                                ^^^^^^^^^

That is a registered address. According to ARIN Apple Computer has the
17/8 netblock. Do not use registered addresses.

> Now I have got cable installed ai want all the computer in my
> home network to be able to go to the internet.

You have only one IP address? You will need to use NAT then.

> Yes you are right I have a hub that connects all my home network computers
> and at the same time I have connected the freebsd at same hub
> and then connected the cable modem to that uplink port on the hub.
> After long research I am able to go outside to internet from the Freebsd.

That is really not a good way to set up a home network. You are going
to leak all of your local traffic out to the cable LAN. (If you use
the 17/8 numbers, Apple might start to wonder why they are getting
all of this traffic from replies to spoofs.) You can't set up a
firewall to protect the machines since they are all directly
connected. And finally, natd(8) has been known to have troubles using
only one interface.

> Now the same ed1 is also acting as ed1_alias0 , this ed1_alias0 is
> is setup for home network Ip address. And ed1 is setup the Static IP
> provided by the CAble provider.
> My main plan is to go to the internet from the home network.
> Please help

Get another NIC and set up your network like,

         }
Internet }---| Cable Modem |---| FreeBSD NAT Box |-----| Hub |
         }                    ed0               ed1     | | |
                                                        | | |
                                                    { Home LAN }

(Your new NIC need not be one using the ed(4) driver of course, just
used as an example.) Then follow the instructions at the end of the
natd(8) manpage to set up NAT, and you should be in business.