Date:      Mon, 23 May 2005 19:57:22 -0500
From:      Rob Zietlow <Rob@the-rob.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   pppd pty equivilent in FBSD

Good day List,=20

I have a question about pppd.  We use ppp over ssh for a VPN solution into=
=20
work. The script works on linux, but not in freebsd because the=20
implementation of pppd that comes with freebsd does not recognize the pty=20
command.  When I attempt to connect up I get the following.=20

testee# bash bin/vpn.init start
Waiting for connection...
Using interface ppp0
/usr/sbin/pppd: In file /usr/home/rob/vpn/options.vpn: unrecognized option=
=20
'pty'
Connection Failed

This appears to be the last piece of the puzzle for me in order to get this=
 to=20
work. So it leaves me to ask Is there an equivalent in Freebsd?=20

=46rom the pppd man page on a linux machine.=20

       pty script
              Specifies that the command script is to be used to communicat=
e=20
rather  than  a  specific terminal  device.   Pppd will allocate itself a=20
pseudo-tty master/slave pair and use the slave as its terminal device.  The=
=20
script will be  run  in  a  child  process  with  the  pseudo-tty  master a=
s=20
its standard input and output.  An explicit device name may not be         =
  =20
given if this option is used.  (Note: if the record option is used  in=20
conjuction  with the pty option, the child process will have pipes on its=20
standard input and output.)

The fbsd pppd's man page doesn't list anything for pty, and a google doesn'=
t=20
turn up much.=20

Thanks for your time.=20

Rob=20